Wednesday, October 28, 2009

My Latest Trips

OK, Its been a while since I blogged. A few weekends ago, I went to Miami AND South Dakota in the same long weekend.  I attended a legislative conference in Miami. But I had already told my friend, Brooke, that I would go to South Dakota that weekend. So Thursday-Saturday, I was in Miami. Sunday-Tuesday, I was in South Dakota. Random, I know. But that's how I roll.

 
This is the lobby of the hotel we stayed at in Miami, the Intercontinental. It was posh. I loved the centerpiece!

*Sidenote: EVERYONE in Miami speaks Spanish. At times, it seemed like I was in a different country. Not that I felt uncomfortable or anything...I just wish I spoke Spanish.


 Here are a few of the conference participants (the girl on the left is my coworker, Emily. We had so much fun!) Friday was the only night open so we went to South Beach with a few people. We had dinner at a Cuban restaurant - YUM - and then headed to the beach. The water was so warm!


So, after walking along South Beach, Em and I decided that it would be a GREAT IDEA to walk back to our hotel with our new friend James from Georgia. It didn't seem like too long when we came on the taxi from our hotel. James was scared that we were in a sketchy neighborhood. This is a sign on one of the apartment buildings.



Em and I along our walk. Right after this picture was taken, we got to the bridge we needed to cross and realized that it was a lot farther than we assumed. So we asked a taxi driver how far it was to our hotel, and he laughed and said it was about 5 miles....Yikes. (Note the glow on our faces...it was SOOOOO humid there.)


Needless to say, we grabbed that taxi and he took us across the bridge. We stopped by the outdoor mall on the water and this cover band was playing. It was probably the best cover band I have ever heard.

Miami was amazing! So warm! I had such a blast and met random, cool people from other states.


Welcome to South Dakota! I got back from Miami late Saturday night, did some laundry, re-packed, and headed to South Dakota early Sunday morning. When I got there, this is the weather I encountered. Not in Miami anymore, Toto...


 This is the house I stayed in. It was so great to relax in a warm house. Thanks Hullingers!


It was too foggy to go see Mount Rushmore, so we went to the Mammoth museum. It was actually pretty cool!


Crazy Horse. This monument has a cool story. Click here. My favorite part about this memorial is that they do not accept any government funding to complete it. It may never get completed. But I love that they want to only use private donations to complete. That's a true American!


In case you're wondering....


Extreme Close-Up! Brooke, Me, and the boys.

Ah, much better. It was so beautiful! But soooooo cold....



Right below the California flag. But I am ready to go....soooooo freezing......


An example of the MANY books on the shady past of the Early West.


So final recap...It was a great weekend. I went from High temps to Low temps but I had a blast. I crossed South Dakota off my list of states I still need to visit. And I spent a crazy few days in the Miami sun. Loved it.

1 comment:

Lydia said...

So fun and great pics. Wish I was there too!